If you’re trying to sell your home, you surely want it to sell as quickly as possible and at the best price. But how do you get buyers’ attention and get them to fall in love with your home at first sight? Home staging is the answer!
In this article, we will find out together about home staging for selling your home, what it is, who invented it and some secrets for making your home much more attractive. We will also provide you with information on costs and some practical tips for putting this real estate selling strategy into practice.
What is home staging
Home staging is a real estate marketing technique that involves preparing a home for sale, improving its appearance and making it more attractive to buyers. This is achieved by arranging and enhancing spaces, curating interior design, rearranging furniture, and using decorative and lighting elements to create a welcoming and functional environment.
The goal of home staging is for buyers to imagine themselves living in the home, highlighting strengths and minimizing flaws. This technique can make the difference between a home that stays on the market for months and one that sells quickly!
Who invented home staging?
Home staging is a technique that originated in the United States in the 1970s thanks to Barb Schwarz, a real estate agent who realized the importance of presenting a home in the best possible way to expedite its sale. Since then, home staging has spread around the world and is now an established practice in the real estate industry.
The principles of home staging
Home staging is built on a few basic principles:
- depersonalization: removing personal items such as photographs and souvenirs to allow buyers to imagine the house as their future home.
- Goodbye clutter: eliminate excess furniture and objects to create a tidy and airy environment.
- Cleaning:pThoroughly clean the house, including hidden corners and surfaces, to give an impression of care and maintenance.
- Repairs: make small repairs as needed, such as fixing a squeaky door or covering a scratch on the wall, to prevent buyers from focusing on these details.
- Neutrality: use neutral colors for walls and furniture to create a pleasant and versatile environment.
How to use home staging to sell your home faster
We have already talked about the secrets to succeeding in selling your home quickly. Among these is definitely home staging. To make the most of it and speed up the sale of your home, try following these detailed steps:
First, carefully analyze your home and identify strengths and weaknesses. Assess what spaces can be enhanced and what problems need to be addressed.
Create an action plan to improve the appearance of the home, taking into account the principles of home staging and the practical advice provided. Determine what changes you will make and in what order, and if necessary, consult a home staging expert for customized suggestions.
Preparation of spaces
Start by depersonalizing rooms, removing personal items and reducing clutter. Organize spaces in a functional and harmonious way, ensuring that each room has a clearly defined purpose and that furniture is arranged to facilitate movement and enhance spaces.
Cleaning and repairs
Perform a thorough cleaning of the house, paying special attention to usually neglected areas such as corners, hidden surfaces, and details such as gutters and windows. Proceed with necessary repairs, such as fixing squeaky doors, covering scratches on walls, or replacing broken tiles, so that you present a well-maintained home.
Decoration and furnishing
Enhance rooms with neutral colors, modern and cozy furnishings, and appropriate lighting. Remember to follow practical home staging tips to create an inviting and pleasant atmosphere. Don’t hesitate to rent temporary furniture or seek professional support if needed.
Preparation for visits
Make sure the house is always tidy and clean for buyers’ visits. Prepare a welcoming atmosphere by using pleasant scents and adjusting the temperature. Also, let buyers explore the house freely, without putting pressure on them or following them too closely.
Once the house has been carefully prepared, make high-quality photographs for online listings. Images should show the spaces clearly and attractively, highlighting the strengths of the home. If necessary, engage the services of a professional photographer to achieve the best possible result.
By following these steps and applying practical home staging tips, you will be able to present your home to its best advantage, increasing your chances of attracting buyers’ attention and selling quickly. Remember that home staging is an investment that, if done correctly, can have a significant impact on the successful sale of your home.
How much does it cost to do home staging to sell home?
Home staging costs can vary depending on the size of the house, the state it is in, and the changes that need to be made. In general, costs can be divided into two categories: fixed costs and variable costs.
Fixed costs include the consultation of a home staging professional, which can range between 300 and 2,000 euros depending on the complexity of the project. Variable costs, on the other hand, cover the purchase or rental of furniture, decorative items and materials for repairs.
In any case, investing in home staging can be an excellent strategy to accelerate the sale of the house and get a better price, thus offsetting the costs incurred.
Practical home staging tips
Here are some practical tips you can follow to take advantage of home staging to sell your home by making it more attractive to potential buyers:
- Use of mirrors: Mirrors are a great ally for giving the illusion of larger, brighter spaces. Place them strategically in smaller rooms or dark areas so that they reflect light and create a more airy atmosphere.
- Enhancing outdoor spaces: Do not underestimate the importance of outdoor spaces, such as balconies, terraces, or gardens. Make these spaces inviting and functional by adding plants, flowers, and garden furniture, such as tables and chairs, thus creating an outdoor area where buyers will want to spend their time.
- Quality fabrics and materials: Choose quality fabrics and materials to give an image of luxury and attention to detail. Opt for sheets, towels, and curtains in fine, durable fabrics, and select durable materials for furnishings.
- Moderation in accessories and decorations: Do not go overboard with accessories and decorations, as they may overload rooms and distract buyers. Choose decorative elements that enhance the space and are in keeping with the style of the home, and place them with balance to create a harmonious environment.
- Creating a welcoming atmosphere: To make buyers feel at home, use pleasant scents such as those of fresh flowers or freshly baked bread. Also, make sure the room temperature is comfortable during visits.
- Lighting: Lighting plays a key role in creating a welcoming environment. Make the most of natural light by using light, transparent curtains, and place lamps and accent lights strategically to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
Home staging to sell home: a real estate marketing tool
Ultimately, home staginghome staging is a real estate marketing technique, a service that every real estate agency should offer, which, if applied correctly, can help you sell your home faster and at a better price. Remember to depersonalize spaces, reduce clutter, clean thoroughly, make necessary repairs and create a neutral, welcoming and bright environment. By following these principles and the practical tips provided, you will be able to present your home at its best and win the hearts of buyers!
However, putting home staging into practice on your own can be a challenging task, especially if you have no prior experience in real estate or interior design.
For this reason, it is advisable to contact a competent real estate agency that also offers home staging services, such as Ideas & Real Estate. By relying on experienced professionals, you can get better results and save time and energy.